Monday 2 February 2009

Australian Open 2009 - A Summary: The Final!

And about fecking time. Okay, so Nadal beat Fed on a hard court, it went five sets (but the fifth was a huge anti-climax as Fed shockingly collapsed), Nadal has three of the four slams and is looking a better bet to win the US Open than Fed to win the French. Plus he's won Olympic Gold. Suddenly, all that arse-licking Fed-is-the-greatest-ever talk of the past five years isn't looking so certain. 'Twas a good, if predictable, final to end the Australian Open. Me, I'm just not that bothered about Fed-Nadal matches. I like them, they're an entertaining watch, but I'm a neutral, ultimately. Which is why I can't really bring myself to write more than a few sentences about it (well... that and also I'm sick to the back teeth of writing at this point). To sum up: Nadal fought and fought, despite his exhausting semifinal, and thoroughly deserved it. Fed disintegrated, and his tears in the trophy ceremony looked like a beaten man who had ran out of answers. Although I'm not writing him off yet. He can still beat anyone on his day. Except, maybe now, Nadal. We'll see.

Me, I'm still pissed at Mathieu for breaking my heart for the umpteenth time in the second round. Such is life when you're a fan of has-beens and never-wases. I'd like to just support whoever's winning, but I just can't bring myself to do it. If one of my guys breaks through and does something, whether it's a slam, a lesser title, or even just a significant win, that means more to me than watching someone I have no connection towards win a hundred slams.

Oh, in all my meandering I almost forgot the women's final. Well, Dementieva lived up to bridesmaid status once again by losing tamely to Serena in the semis, and Serena went on to annihilate Dinara Safina in the final 6-0 6-3 for her 10th grand slam title. She's not even as good as she used to be. But it's a rant for another time. I'm done for the evening. To sum up: a memorable AO. But personally, could have been better. As usual, eh.

No comments:

Post a Comment